|COLONEL HAROLD L. "MAX" MAXWELL|
Colonel Harold L. "Max" Maxwell is the Commander of the 943rd Rescue Group, Davis-Monthan Air Force Base, Ariz.
As group commander he directs the activities of the group's subordinate organizations, which include a flying squadron of six HH-60G helicopters; two Guardian Angel "Pararescue" squadrons, one of which is geographically separated and assigned to Portland Air National Guard Base, Oregon; a Maintenance Squadron; Mission Support Flight; Operations Support Flight; and a Medical Flight.
Col Maxwell graduated from Fountain (Colorado Springs, Colorado) High School, in 1974, and graduated from East Carolina University in 1979. After graduation, he attended Officer Training School (OTS) at Lackland Air Force Base, Texas, graduating in 1980. After completing undergraduate pilot training, he was assigned to the 38 Air Rescue and Recovery Squadron (ARRS), Osan Air Base Korea, where he flew the HH-3E, "Jolly Green Giant," rescue helicopter. Following his assignment in Korea, Colonel Maxwell was selected as an initial cadre pilot for the newly acquired H-60 Blackhawk helicopter at the 55th ARRS, Eglin Air Force Base, Florida. Col Maxwell served at the 23rd Air Force, Hurlburt Field Florida as Chief, Rotary/Fixed wing safety before leaving active duty in September 1989 to become an Air Reserve Technician (ART) in the Air Force Reserves. As a member of the 71st Special Operations Squadron, Davis-Monthan Air Force Base Arizona, Col Maxwell was activated to participate in Operation DESERT SHIELD/STORM where he flew combat and combat support sorties to include rescue alert, Special Operations infiltration/exfiltration missions, and medical evacuation missions.
Col Maxwell has most recently served as the Air Force Reserve Advisor to the Commander, United States Air Forces in Europe. Previously, Col Maxwell served as Deputy Commander for Operations, 305th Rescue Squadron, Davis-Monthan Air Force Base, Arizona. He has also served as Vice Commander 402 ABW (OIF deployed) and deployed commander for rescue forces at Operation PROVIDE COMFORT, Operation NORTHERN WATCH and Operation SOUTHERN WATCH. He has flown nearly 5000 hours in HH-3, HH-53, and HH-60 helicopters.
1979 Bachelor's degree in Social Work/Corrections, East Carolina University
1985 Squadron Officers School, by correspondence and in-residence
1994 Air Command and Staff College, by correspondence
1997 Air War College, by correspondence
2003 Masters of Business Administration, City University, Wash.
1. Mar 80 - Dec 80, student, Undergraduate Pilot Training (Helicopter), P-V4C-A
2. Dec 80 - Apr 81, student, H3P1 Pilot Advanced Flying Course, Kirtland Air Force Base, N.M.
3. Apr 81 - May 82, pilot, 38th Aerospace Rescue and Recovery Squadron, Osan Air Base, Korea
4. May 82 - May 85, Instructor pilot and tactics officer 55th Aerospace Rescue and Recovery Squadron, Eglin Air Force Base, Fla.
5. July 85 - Jan 86, student, 1550th Combat Crew Training Wing, Kirtland Air Force Base, N.M. (H-53)
6. Jan 86 - May 87, H-53 Rescue Special Operations Low Level (RSOL) Pilot and Flight Safety Officer 41st Rescue/Weather and Reconnaissance Wing, McClellan AFB, Calif.
7. May 87 - Sep 89, Chief Rotary/Fixed Wing Safety, 23rd Air Force, Hurlburt Field, Fla.
8. Oct 89 - Dec 89, student HH-3E Pilot Mission Qualification, Kirtland Air Force Base, N.M.
9. Dec 89 - Sep 93, Chief Weapons and Tactics, 71st Special Operations Squadron, Davis-Monthan Air Force Base, Ariz.
10. Sep 93 - Sep 94, Chief Weapons and Tactics, 305th Rescue Squadron, Davis-Monthan Air Force Base, Ariz.
11. Sep 94 - Sep 95, Chief Stan/Eval, 305th Rescue Squadron, Davis-Monthan Air Force Base, Ariz.
12. Sep 95 - Apr 96, Chief of Safety, 305th Rescue Squadron, Davis-Monthan Air Force Base, Ariz.
13. Apr 96 - Apr 98, Chief of Stan/Eval, 305th Rescue Squadron, Davis-Monthan Air Force Base, Ariz.
14 Apr 98 - Dec 98, Assistant Deputy Commander for Operations, 305th Rescue Squadron, Davis-Monthan Air Force Base, Ariz.
15. Dec 98 - Aug 2002, Deputy Commander for Operations, 305th Rescue Squadron, Davis-Monthan Air Force Base, Ariz.
17. August 2002 - July 2005, Reserve Advisor to the commander, U.S. Air Forces in Europe, Ramstein Air Base, Germany
18. July 2005 - April 2010, Reserve Advisor to the commander, Air Force Special Operations Command, Hurlburt Field, Fla.
19. April 2010 - present, Commander, 943rd Rescue Group, Davis-Monthan AFB, Ariz.
Rating: Command Pilot
Flight hours: Almost 5000
Aircraft Flown: UH-1, HH-3E, MH-3E, HH-53, HH-60, MH-60
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Air Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Air Force Achievement Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant March 10, 1980
First Lieutenant March 10, 1982
Captain March 12, 1984
Major November 13, 1991
Lieutenant Colonel June 17, 1996
Colonel February 27, 2002
(Current as of May 2010)