Col. Michael V. LoForti is the commander of the 920th Operations Group, 920th Rescue Wing, Patrick Air Force Base, Florida. The group employs HH-60G Pave Hawk helicopters and HC-130P/N King aircraft to conduct worldwide civil and combat rescue operations. As a secondary mission, the group provides range clearing operations for the 45th Space Wing and all rocket launches from Florida’s Space Coast. The group is comprised of four squadrons and more than 350 authorized aircrew, Guardian Angel Airmen and support personnel. Colonel LoForti ensures units are manned, trained and equipped to provide the nation, Joint Chiefs, combatant commanders and Air Combat Command the finest combat search and rescue forces any place, any time.
Colonel LoForti earned a Bachelor's Degree in Aerospace Engineering from Arizona State University in 1991 and entered active duty in 1992. Some of his previous assignments include Squadron Assistant Director of Operations, Flight Commander, and Project Manager of Advanced Fighter Engines. Prior to his current assignment, he was the Chief of the Combat Operations Division and the Personnel Recovery and Special Operations Division, Headquarters Air Force Reserve Command, Robins Air Force Base, Ga. Colonel LoForti is a command pilot with more than 2,700 flying hours.
1991 Bachelor of Science, Aerospace Engineering, Arizona State University, Tempe, Ariz.
1994 Master of Business Administration Management, Wright State University, Dayton, Ohio
1998 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
2004 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2011 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
1. February 1992 – June 1995, Project Manager, Aeronautical Systems Center, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio
2. June 1995 – January 1997, Student Pilot, Reese AFB, Texas
3. January 1997 – August 1997, F-16 Formal Training Unit, Luke AFB, Ariz.
4. August 1997 – August 2000, F-16 Pilot, 22nd Fighter Squadron, Spangdahlem AB, Ga.
5. August 2000 – August 2001, F-16 Pilot/Mission Commander, 36th Fighter Squadron, Osan Air Base, Republic of Korea
6. August 2001 – December 2002, F-16 Instructor Pilot/Flight Commander, 62nd Fighter Squadron, Luke AFB, Ariz.
7. December 2002 – October 2004, F-16 Instructor Pilot/Assistant Director of Operations, 21st Fighter Squadron, Luke AFB, Ariz.
8. October 2004 – October 2010, F-16 Evaluator/Assistant Director of Operations, 301st/69th Fighter Squadron, Luke AFB, Ariz.
9. October 2010 – April 2012, Chief, Combat Air Force Operations, Headquarters Air Force Reserve Command, Robins AFB, Ga.
10. April 2012 – July 2014, Executive Officer to the Director, Air, Space and Information Operations, HQ AFRC, Robins AFB, Ga.
11. July 2014 – June 2017, Chief, Flight Standards Division/Personnel Recovery and Special Operations Division, HQ AFRC, Robins Air Force Base, Ga.
12. June 2017 – Present, Commander, 920th Operations Group, Patrick AFB, Fla.
Rating: command pilot
Flight hours: more than 2,700
Aircraft flown: F-16A/B/C/D, KC-135, C-130 and AT-38
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Distinguished Flying Cross
Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Medal one oak leaf cluster
Aerial Achievement Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Achievement Medal
Meritorious Unit Award
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Organizational Excellence Award
Combat Readiness Medal
National Defense Service Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal
Kosovo Campaign Medal
Iraq Campaign Medal
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Korean Defense Service Medal
Air Force Overseas Ribbon Short
Air Force Expeditionary Service Ribbon
Air Force Longevity Service with four oak leaf clusters
Small Arms Expert Marksmanship Ribbon
Air Force Training Ribbon
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant Sept. 29, 1991
First Lieutenant Sept. 29, 1993
Captain Sept. 29, 1995
Major July 1, 2002
Lieutenant Colonel July 7, 2009
Colonel July 7, 2014
(Current as of June 2017)