Col. Leo J. Kamphaus, Jr., is the commander of the 920th Maintenance Group, Patrick Air Force Base, Florida. Colonel Kamphaus provides aircraft maintenance for the Air Force Reserve Command’s only Combat Search and Rescue Wing. The maintenance group is responsible for worldwide rapid deployment and employment of combat-ready/mission-capable HH-60G Pave Hawk and HC-130P/N Hercules aircraft in support of Air Combat Command deployments; civilian search and rescue missions; and Cape Canaveral launch support.
Colonel Kamphaus is from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, and is a 1994 Geneva College graduate. In 1998, he was commissioned through the Academy of Military Science and has since been assigned to numerous maintenance leadership positions throughout the United States.
1992 Associate in Armament System Technology, Community College of Air Force.
1994 Bachelor of Science, Human Resource Management, Geneva College, Beaver Falls, Pa.
1998 Academy of Military Science, McGhee Tyson Air National Guard Base, Tenn.
1998 Aircraft Maintenance Officer Course, Sheppard Air Force Base, Texas.
1998 Aerospace Basic Course, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2006 Maintenance Officer Intermediate Course, Sheppard AFB, Texas.
2011 Master of Science, Military Operational Art and Science, Air Command and Staff College, Air University, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2016 Air War College, Air University, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1. January 1998–October 1998, Aircraft Munitions Officer, 93rd Fighter Squadron, Homestead Air Reserve Station, Fla.
2. October 1998–March 2000, Sortie Generation Officer, 93rd Fighter Squadron, Homestead ARS, Fla.
3. March 2000–April 2002, Maintenance Officer, 939th Maintenance Squadron, 939th Rescue Wing, Portland, Ore.
4. April 2002–January 2003, Aircraft Maintenance Officer, 302nd Fighter Squadron, Luke Air Force Base, Ariz.
5. January 2003–May 2005, Aircraft Maintenance Officer, 944th Aircraft Maintenance Squadron, Luke AFB, Ariz.
6. May 2005–February 2006, Aircraft Maintenance Officer, 944th Maintenance Squadron, Luke AFB, Ariz.
7. February 2006–November 2006, Commander, 944th Maintenance Squadron, Luke AFB, Ariz.
8. November 2006–June 2007, Aircraft Maintenance Officer, 301st Maintenance Squadron, Naval Air Station Fort Worth Joint Reserve Base, Texas.
9. June 2007–September 2008, Commander, 301st Maintenance Squadron, NAS Fort Worth JRB, Texas.
10. September 2008–August 2010, Commander, 301st Aircraft Maintenance Squadron, NAS Fort Worth JRB, Texas.
11. August 2010–January 2011, Commander 917th Maintenance Squadron, Barksdale AFB, La.
12. January 2011–June 2013, Commander 307th Maintenance Squadron, Barksdale AFB, La.
13. June 2013–June 2015, Chief Aircraft Maintenance Branch, 10th Air Force, Naval Air Station Fort Worth Joint Reserve Base, Texas.
14. June 2015–February 2018, Commander 307th Maintenance Group, Barksdale AFB, La.
15. February 2018–Present, Commander 920th Maintenance Group, Patrick AFB, Fla.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal
Meritorious Unit Award
Air Force Outstanding Unit
Air Force Good Conduct Medal
Air Reserve Forces Meritorious Service Medal
National Defense Service Medal
Southwest Asia Service Medal
Iraq Campaign Medal
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
AF Overseas Ribbon Short
Air Force Expeditionary Service Ribbon with gold border
Air Force Longevity Service
Armed Forces Reserve Medal with “M” device
Small Arms Expert Marksmanship
Air Force Training Ribbon
Kuwait Liberation Medal Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
Kuwait Liberation Medal Government of Kuwait
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant March 12, 1998
First Lieutenant March 12, 2000
Captain October 1, 2002
Major April 15, 2008
Lieutenant Colonel August 15, 2013
Colonel February 12, 2018
(Current as of March 2018)